Dr. Joi Brown
Dr. Joi Brown is a Career Strategist, Life Coach, International Bestselling Author, Empowerment Speaker, and Entrepreneur known as the “Positive Energizer.”
Dr. Brown is the Chief Executive Officer of 3EEE Consulting, where she continues to educate, equip, and empower people through coaching, conversations, and workshops in career and entrepreneur development, conflict resolution, goal setting, health and wellness, leadership and team development, and personal and professional branding. Dr. Brown has over 24 years of demonstrated human resource development and management expertise. She is living her dreams as Human Resource Director within the federal government. Dr. Brown empowers audiences to believe in their greatness and walk in their purpose and is one of the most sought-after names for podcasts and shows.
What were your initial years of growing up like? Tell us about your life before starting your corporate journey/venture/initiative.
I grew up in a family that instilled in me the “I Can” manta, I could be anything that I put my mind to. The sky was the limit and dreams could come true. My grandmother would say, you never say “I can’t”, you say “I can, I will or I’ll try”. Determination, hard work, and service were values that were instilled in me.
As I reflect on my life, people believed in me, inspired me, and opened doors and opportunities for me. Motivating and inspiring people and giving my gifts and talents to make this world a better place are what I learned from my family. These values inspired me to birth several businesses that allow me to walk in my gifs, talents, and purpose.
Was there any turning point in your life that changed your journey? If so, what was it? Please tell us the backstory behind it.
Just imagine graduating from the top of your class as Valedictorian, getting accepted into your top school, and pregnancy. One of my favorite quotes is “You are the author of your life. You create the story, and you can also rewrite it.” So, that is what I did. I took control of the pen and began to declare the vision for the life I wanted for me and my son.
My life changed forever on Feb 20th when I had my son. He truly changed the trajectory of my life. I graduated on time with a Bachelor’s degree and later earned a Master’s Degree. I am a testament that a delay is not a denial. Today, I am a career strategist, life coach, author, professor, entrepreneur, and empowerment speaker that educates, equips, and empowers women to live the life that they have always dreamed or imagined.
Every industry that is now a large-scale, top-notch business once started as a small idea in the minds of entrepreneurs. What was that idea or motivation that made you start your business /initiative? What motivated you within to say “YES, go for it!”
My business was born by my life’s calling, educating, equipping, and empowering. Using my favorite number 3, I created 3EEE Consulting. Every day of my life, I educate, equip, and empower as the HR Director, Career Strategist, Coach, Professor, Speaker, Author, and Entrepreneur. I am blessed to use my gifts and talents to elevate the lives of others and step into their greatness.
Tell us something about your initiative or current role. What is it about, and what impact are you trying to make?
3EEE Consulting is designed to educate, equip, and empower individuals, groups, and organizations to accomplish goals through effective strategies. Offer a variety of customized coaching, conversations, and workshops:
- Business & Entrepreneurship
- Career Coaching & Services (Resume & Interview)
- Conflict Management & Resolution
- Goal Setting & Attainment
- Health, Fitness, & Wellness
- Leadership & Team Development
- Personal and Professional Branding
As the CEO, I have been blessed to have teachers, co-workers, supervisors, coaches, and mentors in my life that inspired me with encouraging words, a listening ear, honest feedback, and opportunities that allowed my gifts and talents to shine. My life’s purpose is to educate, equip, and empower people to their greatness.
Everyone has their own set of challenges when starting an entrepreneurial journey. Still, the most essential part for others to learn is how you deal with those. Would you like to share with us your challenges and your coping mechanisms?
As an entrepreneur, if you do not work your business, it will not work. I learned that lesson early and when faced with challenges having a community of entrepreneurs that I can call on for advice has truly been a blessing. The entrepreneur journey takes perseverance and when faced with adversity and challenges, you gotta dig deep to know that you can make it. Having a support system to lean on and encourage you through it is a coping mechanism.
While the global pandemic of COVID-19 is associated primarily with adversities, it has also brought about a true boom in startups, with successful entrepreneurship in many countries. The pandemic has impacted all of us in one way or another. Would you like to share your experience on a personal and professional level?
During the pandemic, I learned to pivot one of my businesses, Sensational Perfume Chick by launching a website and becoming the distributor that delivers. Before the pandemic, I had several in-person vending events lined up, and when the pandemic hit, I went into action by promoting my shea butter on social media and launching my website so customers could order online. My business excelled that year, and I gained new customers worldwide.
Your journey and your vision are very inspiring, but are there any achievements or accomplishments you would like to mention?
- Landed my dream job as an HR Director within the Federal Government. My story is HR Intern to HR Director, Won’t He Do It. I am watching God manifest things in life that I dreamed of.
- My lifetime commitment to community service and the empowerment of others was recognized with an Honorary Doctor of Philosophy from Trinity International University of Ambassadors.
- Been featured in various magazines such as Tap-In, VIP Global, Women of Dignity, My Sisters Keeper, K.I.S.H., UP Words, Making Headline News, Women Who Win, Phoenix Fitness Magazine, and Phenomenal Overcomer.
- Recognized as a Top 20 Business Coach, Top 25 Most Inspiring Woman, Top 25 of Global Influencers, Speaker of the Day, Top 50 Unstoppable Women Innovators in Business, Top 20 Christian Coach, and Top 50 Pioneers of Change.
- Awarded Brainz 500 Global Awards 2022 and 2021 for entrepreneurial success, achievements, and dedication to helping others.
Would you like to share with our young budding women entrepreneurs the change you would like to see in the world if given an opportunity?
- You Can Do It-You are the author of your life. Believe in yourself. You have the power to write your own story and create the life that you want to have.
- Start with identifying skills, talents, hobbies, or interests that you have or enjoy, this can give you business ideas. You want to be passionate about your business.
- Connect with other entrepreneurs who have started their businesses and ask questions about how they started. Learning business strategies and barriers will allow you to understand what it’s going to take.
- Research how to start a business and develop a business plan that will outline the mission, vision, services, customers, budget, and marketing strategies. The business plan will serve as a roadmap to starting your business.
- Learn the power of mute. Mute negativity that may come your way, either from yourself or others.
What’s the most important thing you’ve learned in your personal life and professional journey? What is your personal motto in life?
The most important thing that I learned in my personal and professional life is I am the author of my own life, which is one of my favorite quotes. I have the power to envision a life that I have always dreamed of and desired. Knowing my worth and understanding I have gifts and talents allows me to believe in the “I Can” manta that I grew up on. Three things that I live by are 1) have a made-up mindset of what I want for my life (vision). 2) Mute the negativity of self-doubt from others or self (belief), and 3) be motivated to move and make things happen (action).
Some of my personal mottos in life are:
- I Can Mantra…I Can & I Will
- Write the Vision…Make it Plan
- Power in what I speak out of my mouth
Women are a growing force in the workplaces worldwide, standing shoulder to shoulder with their male counterparts. There are cracks in glass ceilings everywhere, with many women breaking through to carve out a space right at the top of the pyramid. What are your thoughts about women’s leadership today?
As an African American woman leader, I had to break through many glass ceilings and barriers. Walking boldly and apologetically in my gifts and talents has allowed me to impact people and organizations of today. The core of my leadership is knowing who I am and what gifts, talents, and expertise I bring daily. I add value to the places and spaces that I enter as Dr. Joi Brown. If I am the first to do it, I plan not to be the last. I am committed to encouraging and motivating future leaders with my story and paying it forward.
With your grit and determination, you are making a considerable impact, breaking through, and serving as role models for many budding entrepreneurs. What would you want to say to our young women leaders/audience reading this?
You are enough, you are beautiful and wonderfully made. You are special and one of a kind. You have ideas, gifts, and talents that the world needs to see. When people in your life try to make you think differently about yourself, hit the mute button. Do not let others change who you are. Walk in who you are. Believe in yourself no matter who does not believe in you. Remember the “I Can” manta, I can do and be anything that I put my mind to.